January 2023 Letter
Congratulating you on the New Year and the Nativity Feast, praying that this year would be a blessing to us all. On the occasion of the Nativity Feast, we would like to share a contemplation by H.G. Bishop Mousa in an article titled: “A Wonderful Birth“:
“People were baffled from the first moment when the news of the glorious birth spread, as this Divine baby came in strange and unique circumstances that had not happened with anyone before in the long history of mankind, and among these signs that confirm the uniqueness of the wondrous baby are the following:
1) An angel annunciated the wondrous birth: “the angel Gabriel was sent by God … And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus” (Luk 1: 26-31).
2) An angel convinced Joseph and explained to him the mystery of the pure virgin: “do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit” (Mat 1: 20).
3) A spirit informed Elizabeth and spoke on her mouth, and she said: “when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said … But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?” (Luk 1: 41-43).
4) A spirit filled John the Baptist while he was still in his mother’s womb … and he worshiped Christ, while still in his mother’s womb: “Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said … For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy” (Luk 1: 42-44).
5) The praise of Zacharias: “Blessed is the Lord God of Israel, For He has visited and redeemed His people, And has raised up a horn of salvation for us In the house of His servant David” (Luk 1: 68-69).
6) Angels announce to the shepherds the birth of the Savior and sing: “Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!” (Luk 2: 14).
7) Simon the elder lives to see Him, sings the praise of salvation and prophesies about the sign of the cross and the sufferings of the Virgin: “And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ” (Luk 2: 26).
8) Anna the prophetess rejoicing and praising the Lord and speaking “of Him to all those who looked for redemption in Jerusalem” (Luk 2: 38).
9) A special star that appears at a specific time and moves in the direction of the newborn to lead the Magi from the East to him, addressing them in the language they understand as followers of the movement of the stars, and as awaiting the birth of the King according to Balaam’s prophecy: “A Star shall come out of Jacob” (Num 24: 17).
10) The symbolic gifts of the Magi referred to: the King of Kings … the High Priest … the Creator of the Prophets, who suffers for our sake.
11) An angel leads the Magi against Herod’s wishes, in another way to their country: “Then, being divinely warned in a dream that they should not return to Herod …” (Mat 2: 12).
12) An angel leads the Holy Family to go to Egypt and then back: “And out of Egypt I called My son” (Hos 11: 1, Mat 2: 15).
May the blessing of Christ the incarnate Logos be with us always. Amen.
Belleville, January 1, 2023